Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Treasure Hunting We Go

After reading all your blogs and seeing all your amazing finds, I had the hunting bug so India and I headed out yesterday for a spot of treasure hunting. Now that I am 'out' I am amazed that we found any bargains..haha (thanks for the lovely and embarrassing comments...blush)



Could this be the tiniest elephant in the world?? I bought another herd (12) carved elephants for my mum's collection. She needs another like a hole in the head as the saying goes. But they are small, this being the smallest.



Found a fantastic old leather bound book,'Chambers's Information for the People Vol 2', it has some very interesting information, which I will post another day. The Little glass dome (reminiscent of a Victorian dome) is Chinese and held a cork craving. I scraped it out and it now holds my grandmothers (Jessie) rosary beads, below.




The bell above was only 50 cents. My gran (Gladys) had one, so it is a reminder of her. I bought the broken cup (so pretty) at the tip to hold jewellery and bits and bobs.



The silver cake forks were a steal at only $5, love 'em.



Another headband for the dress up collection.



A small canvas army bag missing the strap, and an army belt, which will become the strap.



2 Woollen blankets, and an eiderdown peeking out from underneath. Would you believe I found the eiderdown for $5, even though its not my colours I am not going to leave it there when they are so hard to find.

We found the skull for Kade, had to bring him home something right??



I bought a huge lamp shade very similar to this when I was 17/18. I since sold it one, but I thought that maybe I shouldn't have. Anyway, today I found another one, this one is in perfect condition, the other was ripped inside. It is pink in colour not orange as my camera has made it out to be.

More about this guy in the next post...



Happy treasure hunting one and all!

11 comments:

Lyndel said...

oh wow Tam you had a great shopping trip! I spend the whole day yesterday just getting ready for next Sunday's Market

Nelly said...

I am so glad someone else buys fancy dress items too.I have a nice collection but there is always room for more isnt there?You sure got some great things,Cant wait ti hear more about the horse

Jane said...

You found some really great treasures. I love how you have displayed the rosary under the glass dome!
Jane

the old boathouse said...

Hey Tam, Great finds the elephant is very cute but I am in LOVE with those little shoes. My youngest son is into skulls too. He has two of the things hanging in his room. I kinda like them I admit, cheers Katherine (I checked out your German vase and it looks like a nice one, great red colour. Reds are always popular, I am guessing it is about 6 -8 inches high? I reckon it would be worth about $45 retail up in Qld may be more down south.)

ladychiara said...

Great finds Tam. Glad I am not the only one that buys such an eclectic mix of things. Love the little broken cup and the dome thingy. Neat idea to put the rosary beads in there. :)

theromanticrose said...

Graziose le cose che hai trovato!Ti auguro una buona domenica,Rosetta

fabriquefantastique said...

I would have bought the cake forks ....love 'em

Hello Vintage said...

Looks like you had a fun day!

polkadotpeticoat said...

Super jealous Momma, you found incredible items!!!

Gracie's Cottage said...

Wow great finds Tam...now don't go leavin' us hanging too long about the horse - can't wait to hear about him!

Jan

Gracie's Cottage said...

Oh drat...my chubby finger on my iPad hit the wrong button on your comment on my post and I lost it...sorry! Anyway thanks for stopping over.

Now, about that horse? :D

Jan