Saturday, August 7, 2010

Weekend Treasure Hunting



India and I headed to the YMCA garage sale this morning. She doesn't mind coming because it is right next the park and she loves to play on the plastic horse. On the way to get a sausage sandwich she tripped (but didn't fall) over a tree root and as I was laughing she said, "Mum, I could have broke my neck!..." hee hee hee "No! Seriously!"...hee hee hee. She was laughing too. She says the funniest things.

My first find was this cool footed silverplated dish. It is bunged up to billyoh (you can see by the photo below) but its really cool. It also has the best engraving on it.



I found one shoe last, an old paper spike, silver spoon, babushka doll (needs her face repainted. India wants to paint it to look like her) and a handful of black beads.



Another mini vintage trophy (3 inches tall) to add to the collection. India wanted me to include the plastic toy one she found too. Before I had the chance to add it to the others, she snaffled it up and quickly whisked them away to her room....yep, she's just like me :)

Found this cute perfume bottle while rummaging in the kids toys, it is marked 'Holland 881' on the base.

Metal tissue box cover. Love the little flowers. If we had tissues in the house my parents would be "knocked over with a feather"...hee hee

Funky pastel plastic spoons; they are sooo long. I think they could be parfait spoons but they are even too long for that.

Found four handworked tablecloths in really good condition.

A huge 7lb Quality Streets tin, empty of course. Imagine receiving a tin this big. My favourites are the toffee fingers and the green triangles...yum.

Can you read the label on this box? It says "Mammoth Ovals"..hee hee. A little research suggested that it is a soap box, made in England c1930's.

Hope your weekend is wonderful :)

6 comments:

vintage mum said...

Hi, now, I can't wait to see what you do with one shoe last :)
Lovely cloths,the spoons are tupperwear my mum bought a set in the 60,s I have them now, they were used for ice cream sundae's the one's in very tall glasses.
Might go to the boot fair tomorrow,depends on the weather

Cate x

TYRaines said...

We're getting ready to head out to the local sales and farmer's market and I hope your luck rubs off on me!

A Treasured Past said...

@vintage mum Hi Cate, thanks for the info! I am sure they kids will love to try them out.Tamara

A Treasured Past said...

@TYRaines Hiya, can't wait to see what you find :) Tamara

Catherine said...

Hello Tamara I am really enjoying your blog. I loved your Mad Hatters Tea Party that you wrote about a while back. I have popped a wee bit about this in the middle of my latest post...hope you don't mind?!! : ) love Catherine

A Treasured Past said...

@An angel in the garden Hi Catherine, how lovely of you to feature my party game ideas on your blog..I am glad that you are enjoying my posts, although I do seem to ramble on a tad :) Tamara x