Thursday, June 23, 2011

Living Jewellery and a Fascinating Doll





I always had a fascination and appreciation of mourning jewellery, especially the intricate and delicate hair assemblages, and family framed wreaths.

Inspired by such pieces, I thought this vintage watch housing would be perfect to make a special piece for me; a reminder not of those who have passed, but those who are dear to my heart, my children. Inside I placed a precious lock of Kade and India's baby hair, and cut some letters from some sheet music to secure inside the glass face.

On the same vein, I have to show you a doll that I found many many moons ago. She has only part of her composition head left, and one small painted wooden arm, but I just love her. I think she may be French or German, late 19th Century, but without all her features it is hard to tell.

She had a little split in her legs, and on further investigation, I discovered that she has a small lock of human hair stuffed inside...isn't that amazing? Wouldn't it be interesting to know the story of how and why the hair was put there...oh the stories this little doll could tell. To me, I think it is fascinating, to others it could be quite creepy.





You can read more about Victorian Mourning jewellery here:
Remembering a loved one with mourning jewelry
The Victorian Obsession with Hair, Result: Mourning Jewelry
Victorian mourning Garb

8 comments:

Gail said...

Wow!
Tamara, I've never heard of a doll filled with human hair! Interesting and a little weird.....:).
Love your finds......

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Hey Tam what a BEAUTIFUL way to keep your babes close.... :o) !!

I've always had a fascination for mourning jewellery though don't own any....There's just something so simple & elegant about the pieces....!!

I hope you're having a WONDERFUL week GORGEOUS....!

Cheers for now,
Tamarah :o)

Kimmie said...

Interesting post indeed :]

vintageandart said...

What a great idea for the watch housing... and such an interesting story you've shared. I really enjoyed it Tam... Nearly the weekend, here's hoping for some sun.

vintage mum said...

A bit of unusual jewellry making just my thing :)
not so sure about the doll I think it's the lack of eyes that make it seem creepy.

It's nearly that Friday feeling
Cate x

polkadotpeticoat said...

I just read about this and saw it on a show called Oddities....it was a sculpture all done out of hair....it was amazing!
love your examples!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love your watch idea...it's perfect! I will remember this idea!!
Have a great weekend!
Chris :o)

*Maristella* said...

Mamma mia!! Che cose molto intriganti e particolari...mi piacciono tantissimo!!!
Quel ciuffo di capelli...brrr, sembra il film "The Others"! ;o))
Un caro saluto, *Maristella*.