Thursday, May 12, 2011

Puppets



Another little peek into my cabinet.

15 years ago there was a Teddy and Doll show in Canberra. They were doing free appraisals, 1 per person. I had two teddies and the mohair Sooty puppet above so my mum and I had a teddy each and my dad stood in line with the sooty. The lady who was appraising Sooty commented that he seems very well loved and that dad must have played with him a lot.....my dad embarrassingly said 'yes'. Truth be told, I bought him at an antique store only a year or two before. We had a good laugh and I will never forget that day..now I can't even remember what he was appraised for.

The hand puppet next to him is a Charlie McCarthy and goes with my ventriloquist collection. He is stamped Edgar Bergens Charlie McCarthy Inc, Made in the USA with a cloth body and composition head with plastic monocle, c1930's.

The clown and the heads are composition and were probably part of a Punch and Judy set. Mr T said that he 'must have' the clown puppet when I bought them on ebay...as you know he loves clowns.




Sandy McBoozle was a xmas present long past from Mr T in his original box. He is a vintage Pelham Puppet made in England, c1947-1955.

Bye for now, have a lovely day.......

3 comments:

*Maristella* said...

Hai Tamara...finalmente riesco a passeggiare per il tuo blog...bellissimi questi vecchi pupazzi!!! Un caro saluto, *Maristella*.

vintageandart said...

Your collection is so cute Tammy especially the little one with the monicle, and also the clown. No wonder Mr T chose you Tam, not cos you're a clown, but cos you're funny. hehe...
Got a good laugh out of your previous post,it's a mystery to us all how these come up hey...Bron.

the old boathouse said...

Another fab collection. Love them all,imagine the joy they have brought to so many in their history. You don't come across puppets that much really do you so it makes a collection all the more special I think. cheers Katherine