Wednesday, September 15, 2010
As promised, here is a little look at my new bag that I made from doilies. I have a huge stash so I went for a rummage to find two that were a similar size and a few to embellish.
***click on the any photo for a larger look ***
Firstly, I simply layed the pieces out and assembled, placing a few buttons on as well, and pinned in place. I folder the top of the pink doiley down as it was longer then the white, but also as a decorative detail. (I dropped a button on the floor, so in the final version I have only 5 :)
I hand stitched the two top doilies to the pink (I could have used the machine but I couldn't be bothered to get it out), this is the front of the bag. I then stitched on the buttons using different colour threads and finally added the green loom flower.
After the front of the bag was stitched, I turned it over and held the cord in place with a stitch in the bottom corners. Once this was in secure, I pinned the front and back doilies together (wrong sides facing) to hold the cord in place. This worked well as the cord also gives the bag structure.
As you can see below, I used one large piece of cord that I simply tied at the top (the shoulder). I then stitched around both sides of the cord, joining the front and back of the bag together, using pink thread.
Some closer details below.
The finished product.
I finished the back with a little pink lace to cover the reverse stitching.
Voilà! A new bag using all things that were laying around the house!
Have a good one, Tamara